wash bag – a little jungle fun

At the festival of Quilts in August, my daughter fell in love with this adorable quilting cotton at the Sew Hot stand.  So while buying some outback wife barkcloth for a dress for me, we bought a fat quarter of Bwindi Forest Moutain gorilla in green designed by Katy Tanis for Blend fabrics.  Miss T had decided she wanted a washbag for a university field trip, it needed to have a water proof lining and be large enough to hold all her lotions and potions.  After some thought she drew a shape and asked me to make it, initally I made a calico toile, added a 3 inch gusset and enlarged the shape by 2 inches all around.  This proved to be massive and I cut the inclease to 1 inch – inches easier as I am waiting for my new reading specs to arrive!

IMG_0984

I used a water proof fabric I had from my old job, after we cleared the studio – no idea what it is – would have been used to make snow boarding clothes many years ago.  To begin with I quilted the whole fat quarter quite heaverly and then cut out my pieces.  The gusset was cut and I inserted the zip before constructing the bag.  The lining as handsewn in afterwards, as I found that the quickest and easiest way.

IMG_0963

Delighted with how it worked and Ms T loves it.

 

Advertisements

Criss Cross Quilt

IMG_0907

I managed to get this quilt made quite quickly given all the work I have on at the moment.  It’s heading to my cousin who is recovering from surgery due to a horrible cancer.  Now she has recovered from the initial surgery, the chemo has begun and I thought a quilt would be something she could curl up under and give some comfort and give her a hug from me even though we live so far apart.

IMG_0918

The main fabrics I bought from Janet Claire at The Festival of Quilts, blues are A’s favorite colours to wear and Janet’s fabrics are so lovely – so from a 10′ layer cake of Aubade and a solid dark blue from Doughty’s also bought at FoQ.  After a little indecision,  I chopped into each square and went from there.

Once the quilt top was made I added a border to 2 sides, just to make it a little larger and then found a great cross hatch fabric at Fabrics Galore for the backing.  For the quilting I decided to follow one of the cross lines and ended up using washi tape to have a line to follow.  Five lines of stitching, to mirror the five rows or squares width.  Once I had finished I hand embroiderd a qulit lable and now just need to post it off.

IMG_0905.JPG

 

Land Girls

Over the past few weeks I have been working on a costume commission, the dungarees are a pattern based on an original Land Girl overalls.  While sewing I’ve also been watching/listerning to Land Girls on Netflix.

image 1|image 2

The pattern I chose has a wonderful story attached, it came from Violet Florence Page’s pattern collection found in a garage in New South Wales – well worth a read.  I will review the pattern at the end of September when I can show the full outfit finished and worn by the actress who commissioned it.

land girl doll

image source

With war looming ever closer, the British government who wanted to increase the amount of food grown within Britain reformed he land girls in June 1939.  The majority of land girls were already living in the countryside, although over 1/3 came from large cities – must have been quite a shock for some of them and a breath of fresh air.  Lady Denman was their honorary leader, she had been a suffragette and was also the first president of the National Federation of Women’s Institutes.

Women's_Land_Army_statue

women’s land army statue at Alrewas, Staffordshire

Truely amazing band of women.