sewing

sewing in the heat

Over the past couple of months we have been experiencing an amazingly hot summer, something my wardrobe is not used to.  I have very few pieces that are for extremely hot weather and those that I do own are rather more beach/resort wear.  So in between commissions I have been snatching a few hours making up a couple of dresses and on Saturday bought some fabulous pure cotton white broderie anglaise, cotton voile and light weight cotton print to make up Simplicity 2587.

simplicity 2587

making view c, with a few modifications  pics in my next post.

vogue 9253.jpg

Another much worn dress has been Vogue 9253, I love this dress!  East to wear and simple to sew, did take 5.5m of fabric as I chose a narrow width.  I made a neckline alteration as I didn’t want such a low V and worn it lots, the african wax print I used is also brilliant and washes like a dream.

B5898.jpg

Just finished Butterick 5898 for a client in Liberty Tana Lawn, it looks really lovely and perfect for a hot summers day and also smart.  If you can not face getting your sewing machine out, Justine Tabak has some beautiful pieces, made in London and from beautful fabrics including some super Liberty tana lawns.

Will post the photo’s of the finished dresses soon, but for now must get back to work.

Advertisements
quilt

#springsunshine baby quilt

In the last 6 weeks I have made 2 baby quilts, the #sodafloat and #springsunshine – now both gifted.  #springsunshine was made with the same collection of pastel Kona cottons and also a very pale grey that toned beautiful with the sugary hues.

It’s made up of half square triangles, 5 1/4 inch squares bace.  I have found starch is by far the best solution to stop any bias movement, it’s the first time I have used with method and loved it.  Used 100% cotton quilt batting from Macculloch & Wallis and also quilted with 40 weight cotton thread.  I found the backing at Fabrics Galore, although  sadly no photograph.  The binding was made up of all the left over fabrics, joined in a chain and trimmed to 2.5inches wide.  I loved the super scrappy look and it worked really well, again no pics as yet because the little boy arrived and I had to bind, washed and tumbled dry the quilt – gifted the same day!

quilt

#sodafloat quilt

#sodafloatquilted

I tested a quilt pattern by a friend at London Modern Quilt Guild, Carina it’s a quilting project inside Carina’s new e-book Poplar Bear CountryCarina called it the iceberg quilt and as I chose a range of sugary pastels my daughter christened the quilt #sodafloat.  I made it for a friend who is expecting a baby very soon and there’s nothing like a deadline to consentrate the mind and sewing schedule.

 

Headed out to the Village Haberdashery in West Hampstead for the Kona Solids and setabout making the quilt.  It is built up in blocks that are really cleverly made and grows quite simply, I managed to make the top up in 2 evenings after work.  Found the quilt batting at MacCulloch & Wallis and also bought a pure cotton 40 weight thread in a lovely icy pastel purple.

thread cotton 40

The backing and binding are from Tikki London, so love the contrast of the backing to the front and the stripe worked really well as a binding.  I did waver when it came to the quilting style and so delighted with the way the circular quilting worked out.  I steamed the backing with a warm iron onto the batting and then steam pressed the top, pinned and it really helped to keep the 3 layers together with no puckering at all.  It has now flown out and been recieved ready for the new arrival!  If you like the pattern do have a look over at Carina’s shop and if you are outside the EU here’s a link to buy the book.

#sodafloatquilt quilted